Last updated: CC 18/3/14
phdcc.Data is a set of DNN modules that aim to provide good programmable data handling for
DotNetNuke-based systems, including these modules:
- phdcc.Data.Form: Table and form generator; displays the customisable form to a user
- phdcc.Data.View: Show a result from one or more forms - customisable in VB or C#
- phdcc.Data.List: List of results, each item customisable in VB or C#
- phdcc.Data.Search: Customisable search form
phdcc.Data provides a good starting point for a database application:
a form can be designed online within DNN. As all scenarios are different, phdcc.Data provides
programmer customisation and hooks to let you make your application work as you want.
Possible uses for phdcc.Data:
- Provide forms for users to fill in, eg survey, questionnaire, profile or registration forms
- You enter data which can then be searched and viewed by users
Please try out the phdcc.Data examples at our DNN site -
full examples documentation.
Primary feature set:
- Form: Design your own forms online, including multi-language localisation
- Form: Detailed configuration using CSS and simple custom controls
- Form: Profile, Recordset and email result options
- Form: Can be used as a Registration form
- Form: Full validation and dependency checking
- Form: Moderate, Amend and Add profile form results
- List: Show a list of results, using your item display code
- List: Wizard generates an item template user control in VB or C#
- View: Show an individual result, using your display code
- View: Wizard generates a template user control in VB or C#
- Search: Show a simple configurable search form
- List, Search: Filter results according to user search crieria
- Form: To do: clean up of interim results, old results, and unused forms
- Form: form design user interface for administrators with basic layout options
- Form: Configurable rendering controls for major changes
- Form: Full CSS stylesheet control
- Form: Multi-language support for users
- Form: Full IPortable import/export of form definitions
- Form: programmer hooks to let you act on certain form events
- Form: programmable custom questions
- Form: To do: import/export of form results
- View, List: Output precisely as you want using VB or C# ASP.NET code
v01.04.41, 2 Mar 2014.
v01.03.10, 19 Apr 2010.
v01.06.00, 8 Jun 2010.
v01.00.05, 15 May 2009.
Contains DNN module private assembly (PA) zip files with partial C# source included.
Your database must be SQL Server 2005 or later.
DNN 4.8.0 or later required.
it is recommended that you only install these modules on systems which you trust the site
administrators completely. More info...
The phdcc.Data modules are free to download. The free download may be used for evaluation and testing purposes.
If you decide to make commercial use of the module, you must purchase a commercial license -
available for US$39 at www.snowcovered.com
Commercial licenses may also be purchased directly from PHDCC if payment is made via PayPal - contact us for more details.
The free download includes a portion of the C# source.
Feel free to examine the source; if you find any bugs let us know; and tell us what improvements you require.
The full source is available separately for US$99.
You may change the source for your own use, but may not re-sell these modules without our written permission.
Buy a US$39 license at Snowcovered.
Use for legitimate wholesome purposes. No warranty whatsoever.
Support for one year if you pay.
The software and this documentation is Copyright © 2007-2014 PHD Computer Consultants Ltd.
Commission us, the experts, to set up your site with phdcc.Data.
for a quote.
Please leave the "Powered by phdcc.Data
" message on
free uses of these modules.
You will probably need the Professional Edition of Visual Studio 2005 or later to work with the C# source within
a DNN Starter Kit VB project.
Module installation and upgrading
The phdcc.Data modules are distributed as in a single combined zip file with a dated name such as
phdccData080115.zip. Unzip this file first into an empty directory to
obtain a README.TXT file, the individual DNN Private Assembly (PA) module zip files,
and a copy of the current documentation.
Each module filename includes the version, eg
Only use these modules if your database is SQL Server 2005 or later.
Install the modules in this order:
- Install phdcc.Data.Form to define your tables and forms and get user input
- Install phdcc.Data.View to view results
- Install phdcc.Data.List to view a list of results
- Install phdcc.Data.Search to display a simple search form
To install each phdcc.Data module, login as Host. In the DNN Control Panel, select "Install Additional Modules" then
"Install New Module" at the bottom of the page. Click "Browse" and select the required phdcc.Data module PA zip file
on your system.
Finally click "Install New Module". Have a look through the all the gobble-de-gook output to check for errors
- ie anything in red. After you click on "Return", DNN may take some time to return as the whole system is recompiled;
if necessary click on another link to wake up the system.
The phdcc.Data modules usually use the DNN conventions for upgrading safely.
Follow the same procedure described above to upgrade an existing installation.
All existing data will be preserved.
If you have customised the layout, then save your changed files before upgrading -
see the versions page for more details.
To upgrade from phdcc.Form to phdcc.Data.Form, see here
Real sites using phdcc.Data
Several other sites are also using phdcc.Data.
Possible new features
- Import: better error report in Event Viewer
- Admin: option to remove unused (non-standard) strings
- Question param: validation expression
- Question param: read-only
- Question type: make into .ascx user controls???
- Question type: dropdown, dropdownmulti, date, password, other DNN types
- Question type: provide a design-time view to make customisation easier
- DNN profile data types: TrueFalse, Date, DateTime, Country, List, Locale, Page, Region, RichText, TimeZone, Integer, Text, Unknown
- Option to email form results to user if logged on
- Edit form: disable group when question being edited etc
- Results: deliberately not deleted if the associated form is deleted. But how to cull unwanted results?
- Email user that info accepted
- Un-authorise a resultset
- Revert to last authorised result
- Delete whole submission
- Find deleted users and delete all their submissions
- Remove unncessary resultsets that do not validate
- Authorise option: if nothing changed then just set Authorised flag
- Moderate 'Recordset' form results
To support a gallery of images for a user (for example) a new form type is needed, 'ProfileList',
where a user can have multiple instances of a form for themselves.
The initial 'ProfileList' display is a list of their current form instances.
There are options to Add/Modify/Delete instances of the actual form.
- Don't use a SP to do search because all results are already in memory, ie do search by hand in memory
- Use System.Web.Caching.Cache to store phdcc.Data.List.ResultSets.LoadedResultSets
- Could provide functionality that supports:
foreach( ResultInfo ri in FormX("idForm"))
phdcc.Data.List, phdcc.Data.View, phdcc.Data.Search
- Reposition as a (simple) online alternative to MS Access:
- Let user define a (real) table, with correct column type (ie not all results as text)
- Form editor then builds a form to get input into this table
- See if it can handle existing simple Access app (eg BDLHS Tithe Map)
- How does this compare to MS Access's "data access page" feature?